An Electric Wok That Rocks – Reasons Why I Love My Electric Breville Wok
“Read why this Electric Wok Beats Stovetop Stir Fry Pans Hands Down”
Some time ago I discussing the benefits of using a carbon steel wok for making delicious Asian style stir fry when one of my friends piped up and informed the group that there is an electric wok that works every bit as well as the stovetop models.
Well, I was dubious…after all isn’t it a well-known fact that electric woks don’t generate enough of the heat necessary to quickly stir fry the food?
So needing to keep my reputation intact, I didn’t let on that I didn’t know what she was talking about and we moved on to other things.
As soon as I got home, I hopped onto the net to search for this mysterious electric wok that can produce enough heat to create amazing stir-fries.
Unfortunately, my friend didn’t know the brand at the time so it was up to me to find it but since I own this website and research is what I do I knew I would find it…if in fact, it was out there at all.
“So where did my research take me”
- Well after checking out a range of electric woks I was beginning to feel quite smug and justified in my original assessment of electric woks. When I later mentioned this to my friend, she replied “Uh uh! and did you look at the Breville Electric Gourmet Wok?”…well nice to know she finally remembered what it was she was talking about…but all I could I say at the time was “No, I hadn’t”.
So off I went again to find out all about the Breville electric wok which I eventually figured out was the Breville EW30x I knew that I would add this wok to this site if it was indeed as good as she said it was but I needed to ensure that it made the grade.
Believe me, it was everything I could have wished for in an electric wok.
I have had this wok for a number of years and my EW30x wok doesn’t seem to be available anymore. It has been upgraded with the Breville Hot Wok. And if my original wok ever stops working, I will definitely be replacing it with the Hot Wok, as the specifications are very similar. Almost everyone on Amazon who has purchased this Wok just loves it. So here is my review on why you should consider the hot wok if you are ready to change to an electric wok.
What’s in the Box?
- The Breville BEW600XL Electric Wok,
- There is an operating manual (available in PDF format) that includes recipes, hints, and tips.
What was I looking for in a wok?
- An electric wok that can raise enough heat to sizzle, not stew
- A wok that is easy to clean
- Easy to control heat
So did the Breville BEW600XL Wok make the grade?
It certainly did, and here’s why:
It Gets Hot Baby!
- It churns out a whopping 1500 watts of heat and you have 15 precision heat settings plus a high sear setting, so you have plenty of control over the heat.
- There is a butterfly-shaped element that gives you even heat over the entire surface.
- The temperature indicator light takes all the guesswork out of knowing what the temperature is and it lets you know when the right temperature has been reached.
- The wok reaches a searing 425ºF making it ideal for cooking authentic Asian style dishes.
- I am on the carnivore diet and this wok sears steak beautifully, sealing in all the juices.
Clean up is a breeze
- The non-stick interior makes it a breeze to clean up.
- As the surface of the wok is non-stick and scratch-resistant you aren’t going to get bits of burnt-on food even at high temperatures.
- The non-stick surface also means that you don’t have to add fats and oils to your cooking.
- Usually, electrical items are a pain in the proverbial ‘you know what’ to clean up. But this wok breaks down so that the bowl and the lid can be placed in the dishwasher.
- Mostly I find that wiping the wok out with a wet/damp paper towel is sufficient to get it clean. However, there will be times when you need to take the bowl off to clean it. So here’s what to do:
There is a knack to removing the base from the bowl:
- Detach the cooking bowl from the stand.
- To do this – flip the wok so that it is face down on the counter and turn the quick release knob on the base, counter clockwise.
- Make sure it’s empty first, remove any leftover food or you’re going to end up with a mess all over the benchtop or floor.
- Once the bowl has been washed and dried thoroughly set it face down on the bench and attach the base to it.
- To do this – lower the bowl over the base and press down on the quick release knob. Turn it clockwise to lock it the base in place.
Washing the lid
- When washing the lid do not put a hot lid into cold water or on a cold surface as it may crack. And that will end up costing you money to replace.
What size is it?
- This wok measures 14″ in diameter
- It has a 6-quart capacity – So plenty of room size to cook for a large family
Something to consider
- If you like to lift your wok to toss the food, you are not going to be able to do this with the electric wok, you will have to use a spatula or spoon to move the food around.
- Please DO NOT use metal utensils, they will scratch the surface. Use wooden or silicone utensils.
What do others say
- This wok is highly recommended by almost everyone who owns it, from a professional Chef who cooks Asian meals to the home cook who just loves to make healthy, tasty Asian stir fry for their family.
- Users have given this wok a 4.7-star rating on Amazon.
So there you have it, my friend was right…there is an electric wok that performs every bit, if not better than the traditional stovetop woks and I have to thank her for bringing it to my attention.
Where Can I Get the Best Price?
- We found the best price at Amazon where you can pick this electric wok up for just under $130.